Ways To Prevent Osteoporosis
- Avoid Drinking Alcohol – It reduces blood serum calcium level.
- Avoid smoking or using Tobacco orally – It reduces blood calcium.
- Avoid use steroidal drugs for long, Those decreases serum calcium level.
- Get “Serum Calcium” (amount of calcium in blood) checked regularly in nearest laboratory, it is the amount of calcium in blood. If serum calcium is low, blood takes calcium from bones called “Bone Resorption” leads to Osteoporosis. “Total calcium normally ranges between 8.5 to 10.5 mg/dl.”
- Drink milk everyday, It is a rich source of calcium.
- Take calcium rich food in diet like almond, figs, beans, spinach etc.
- Go out daily in early morning or evening in mild sunlight, it helps vitamin ‘D’ formation in skin which is important for calcium absorption in body.
- Get BMD test done in every 6 months to monitor Osteoporosis severity and treatment; and visit your Doctor regularly, for bone health check-up.